Thursday, January 8, 2009

Here's some perspective

My team just lost a heartbreaker of a game. I'm sad. Sad that my team lost. Sad that they tried their best and came up short, and sad that I could tell they were giving their all, had prepared as well as possible, and still came up short. (For the record, I'm also sad that apparently Tebow is Jesus Christ on the football field...I was hoping it would be a down lineman.)
So, here's your dose of perspective: yesterday, my wife was told she might have lung cancer. Not by a heckler driving by our home, but by a nurse who called to let her know she needed a cat-scan to make sure she didn't have cancer. Holy shit.
I could go into detail about my thought process when my wife called in (understandable) hysterics, but I won't. Basically my thoughts were to comfort my wife and find more information...which I did...which made me feel better. But I also went to the dark place for a minute. My mom died from cancer when I was 5. Was this my legacy? Am I going to repeat what my father went through? Sounds a bit ridiculous now, but I went there for a minute. Then I snapped out of it, stopped thinking about myself, and focused on making sure my wife calmed down. (It's not as heroic as it sounds...I just like folks to be calm until all the information is present.)
We went through getting Miles looked after (thank you, Gammie) and got her CT scan done. Then had to do the "wait for the results" dance, which lasted a few more hours...got the call that she is perfectly fine, cancer free, and only needs to kick the pneumonia that is holding on...
Tawni and I both cried. She cried in front of me and we hugged. I cried after she went to sleep. I'm still kind of crying. Relief. Deep breaths of relief. Miles could tell. He was picking up the vibe yesterday and today he picked up that things were better. In fact, I just paused writing this because he was crying out in his sleep a bit and I went in, changed a soaked diaper, and he smiled, took a drink of water, and is drifting back off to sleep right now. I feel good.
And yet my team just lost....

Oh well...March Madness is coming up and then golf season...
It's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment